Page of

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Private John McGregor

Waterloo 200

of 1st Battalion, 79th Regiment of Foot, The Cameron Highlanders

Upload your Story as a PDF as well as text and images about this Soldier

Dear Family and Friends, As a way remembering those that fought at Waterloo in June 1815 including $personFirstName$, we have created a page within the $bookTitle$ book. Please contribute by adding your thoughts, messages, photographs or even videos about this soldier. Add your insight or expertise to help build and lock-in our knowledge about this person, simply go to: $findPersonLink$ and make your contribution too. Thank you,
View Tributes Next

Submitted by: Dan Muir

Date added: 28 Jan 2015

John McGregor was born in Latheron, Caithness about 1792. He joined the 79th Regiment of Foot, The Cameron Highlanders in 1812, aged 20, and served in Spain, France and Flanders.

At Waterloo he was in the 3rd Company of the 1st Battalion which was led by a Captain Thomas Mylne - later promoted to the brevet rank of Major as a reward for the conduct of his Company during the battle.

John McGregor was wounded in the right thigh and transferred to a hospital in Brussels before being repatriated to Britain. He was discharged on 16th January 1816 "in consequence of a wound at Waterloo", but re-enlisted in the 78thRegiment, The Seaforth Highlanders, on the 5th November 1817. He remained a Private but in the muster rolls of his battalion there were two soldiers called John McGregor but we knew our man, as there was always a note alongside one of the names, "A Man of Waterloo".

He met and married Bridget Savan in Ireland when the regiment was stationed there and their first child, Margaret, was born there in 1824. They had a nomadic life and had 8 children born in Latheron & Wick, towns in Caithness, and in Stirling Edinburgh and Glasgow, places where the Seaforths were stationed. After nearly 24 yrs service,he left the army in 1836 and became a Chelsea Pensioner. He joined the Glasgow Police for a time and died in Glasgow, aged 71 on 26th February 1863.

His youngest daughter, Helen McGregor was born in 1844, was married in 1869 to John Muir, a member ofthe Glasgow firm of Muir & Sons, Jewellers. She was my Great Grandmother.

Next Previous