Page of

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Cpl John Jarvis

Royal Corps of Signals Memorial Book

7 Jul 1924 - 27 Sep 2014

Please Support Us

Add a message - Express your feelings, in words, pictures or videos

Dear Family and Friends, As a way of celebrating, sharing and remembering $personFirstName$ together, I have created a page within the $bookTitle$. Here we can all share our memories – through stories, thoughts, messages, photographs and videos. If you would like to visit the page and add your own message simply go to: $findPersonLink$. Thank you,
Previous Page Next

Added by: Jonathan Jarvis

Date added: 9 Jul 2015


Was born 7th July 1924, Earlham Grove Forest Gate London E7

He volunteered for the Royal Signals at Southampton whilst living near Alton Hants and working in Farnham, and joined up on 20th May 1943, after being in the local Territorial Army. His Army number was 14428079. Following six weeks of basic training and getting fit, he spent six months learning Morse code.

Mr Jarvis went on to work with radio - 22 sets then 36 sets in a mill, in Slaithwaite, Yorkshire. He went over in the second wave on D-Day and was a go between plots from RAF radar to Anti-Aircraft (AA) gun sights.

He remembered that he saw Caen and Falaise Gap which were terrible places. Later he went up the coast to Walfaren Island, Holland. He also climbed up church steeples to man the radio from the Royal Artillery officer to the unit’s 3.7 inches AA guns on a ground shoot that was deadly accurate. During this time he was billeted with a Dutch family who were very generous and they remained very good friends for many years.

Back home, as the Japanese war was going on he was sent to India travelling on the old Cunard liner RMS Scythia. The voyage took 3 weeks to Bombay, then 2 days on the train to Lahore, afterwards moving to Poona.

Mr Jarvis’s Indian service took place around Sialkot in the Punjab. He had 28 days leave at Ninetal which had a large lake and hill walks, travelling by train from Amritzar on the Calcutta mail train and getting off at Debra Dunn for a narrow gauge line into the hills. Ninetal was 8000ft up and one day he walked to the peak (12,000ft), but only the once! He remembered that when he left India he travelled from Dulali on the RMS Arundel Castle, this voyage only took 13 days.

He was discharged 25th May 1947 and awarded The Defence Medal 1939-1945, and The France and Germany Star. He left in the rank of W/CPL (War Service Corporal).

Mr Jarvis died on 27th September 2014 having lived at Petworth Cottage Nursing Home, West Sussex at the end of his life; he was married 66 years and had 2 children, Jaqueline and Jonathan. John was married to his surviving wife Lettice Annie Jarvis nee Fentem.

He is buried in in St Giles churchyard, Coldwaltham, Pulborough Sussex where he had lived for over 45 years. His favourite hobby was trout fishing in Hampshire and salmon fishing in Scotland. He was a keen gardener, much loved and loving grandfather, Dad and husband.
Next Previous