Page of

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Lt.Colonel Sir Andrew F. Barnard

Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Museum Online Book

of 1st Battn. 95th REGIMENT OF FOOT


Dear Family and Friends, As a way remembering those that fought in The Green Jackets including $personFirstName$ together, we have created a page within the $bookTitle$. Here we can all share our memories – through stories, thoughts, messages, photographs and videos. If you would like to visit the page and add your own message or tribute simply go to: $findPersonLink$. Thank you,
Descendants Stories A-Z Next

Date added: 21 Apr 2017

Submitted by: Anne Findlay (nee Barnard)

Sir Andrew Barnard was my great-great-great-uncle – he never married, and we are descended from his nephew, Henry Barnard, (born in 1799, and later Sir Henry) our great-great grandfather. Henry for some time acted as ADC to his uncle, and rumour had it that he was also at Waterloo, as a very young Grenadier Guards Ensign, but the official record makes no mention of him.

Sir Andrew was born in Donegal in 1773 son of the Rev. Henry Barnard and grandson of the Bishop of Derry. He joined the army in August 1794, as an Ensign in the 90th Regt. From then on he seems to have changed regiments with great rapidity. He became a Lieutenant and then a Captain in the 81st, all in 1794; in 1795 after service in Domingo, was transferred to the 55th Regt. and served in many of the actions in the West Indies. By January 1805,he was a Major in the 1st Brigade of Guards, served in Sicily, then in Canada, until in March 1810, as a Lt. Col., he transferred into the 95th Regt.

He was one of the first officers of the newly formed 95th Regiment, later The Rifles, and his medals, sword and portrait are in the Rifle Brigade Museum in Winchester. He has always been regarded as a great hero by the family, and my grandfather and father were both named after him. He fought all through the Peninsula War with the 95th, and was appointed KCB in 1813.

On the 25th April 1815, Sir Andrew embarked with six companies of the 1st Battalion of the 95th at Dover, and landed at Ostend on the 27th, arriving at Brussels on May 12th. He commanded the 95th at Quatre Bras, and throughout the battle of Waterloo, and is mentioned in several of the descriptions of the battle. He was wounded, but must haverecovered reasonably quickly, as after the capitulation of Paris, Wellington appointed him Commandant of the British division occupying the French capital.

After retiring from active service, in 1821, he acted for some time as an equerry to George !V, and later as Clerk-Marshal to William !V, and then to the widowed Queen Adelaide. In 1849, the Duke of Wellington appointed him Lt. Governor of Chelsea Hospital.

When he died at Chelsea on Jan 17th 1855, those pensioners who had served with him in the Peninsula had permission to view his remains, awaiting his funeral in the Chelsea Chapel. After they had left, it was found they had each brought in a laurel leaf to cover his coffin as a mark of respect to their venerated chief.

Next Previous