The two light stained glass window was designed by J.Ninian Comper and unveiled on 22 May 1927. It depicts figures of St Edward the Confessor and Edwin, Abbot of Westminster and is part of a series of windows showing kings and abbots in this aisle. Above Edward's figure is a scene showing him 'touching for the king's evil'. The inscription at the base was altered to include those who died in the Second World War and reads:
"In memory of the Royal Army Medical Corps of all ranks who gave their lives in the service of their country".
The badge and motto of the Corps appear at the bottom of each light.
The medical corps, part of the British Army, can trace its origins back to 1660 when each Standing Regular Army had a surgeon. King William 111 introduced "flying hospitals" during his campaign in Ireland 1689-90 in the reign of Queen Anne. During the Peninsular wars of the early 19th century the army medical services were more formally organised. The Royal Army Medical Corps was formed in 1898.Table of Contents Next