Page of

About Andrew

Lt Cdr Andrew John Moys loved being a Naval Officer and a Met Man. From the tender age of 4, he wanted nothing more than to join the Royal Navy, just like his Father. Born in Gosport on 27 September 1965, Andrew moved to Cornwall with his parents and older brother at 10 months old when his father was moved to a posting at RNAS Culdrose. When Andrew was school age, he attended the Board School in Porthleven and the new Porthleven Junior School. He moved on to Helston Comprehensive for senior school, but always considered himself to be a Porthleven boy. From Helston, Andrew attended Queen Mary College and graduated with a First in Geography in 1987.

After beginning a PhD and working for Somerset County Council, Andrew joined the Royal Navy on the 13th of September 1989. In his 29 year career, which began at Dartmouth, he served as Education and Resettlement Officer at HMS Seahawk before moving to the Met Branch where he served as Met Officer aboard HMS Coventry and HMS Beaver, Squadron Metoc Officer for 820 NAS, Met Officer aboard HMS Illustrious during the Bosnian conflict, Reactive Forecaster at Northwood, Senior Metoc on HMS Ocean during Sierra Leone, Forecaster at RNAS Culdrose, US Exchange Officer (Naval Postgraduate School and Fleet Numerical), FOST, SMETO Culdrose, NATO-ACO-SHAPE, SMETO Culdrose.

Previous Next

Andrew met his wife Tracey, a then serving US Naval Officer, at the Naval Postgraduate School in 2002. They were married in March 2005. She left the USN and emigrated to the UK in the Summer of 2006. Rachael was born in October of that year and Bryony was born two and a half years later in March of 2009.

By all accounts, Andrew was a highly skilled Met Man, an inspirational leader, and the consummate professional Naval Officer.

Outside of his Navy life, Andrew was a lover of sports cars, Top Gear, Lego,Plymouth Gin, Buffalo Trace Bourbon, fancy watches, Springer Spaniels, and his girls.

2015 was a life-changing year, when on March 9th, Andrew’s immune system attacked his spinal cord and left him with an incomplete spinal cord injury(diagnosed as transverse myelitis), which resulted in partial paralysis and chronic, severe spinal cord pain requiring him to become a reluctant wheelchair user. He met this challenge with a fair share of stubbornness, determination, and courage — never giving up, even in the darkest moments.


Next Previous