Page of

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Serjeant Peter Appleton

Waterloo 200

of 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards

Lt.Colonel Henry D. Oyly's Company

13 Apr 1789 - 10 Sep 1862

Upload your Story as a PDF as well as text and images about this Soldier

Dear Family and Friends, As a way remembering those that fought at Waterloo in June 1815 including $personFirstName$, we have created a page within the $bookTitle$ book. Please contribute by adding your thoughts, messages, photographs or even videos about this soldier. Add your insight or expertise to help build and lock-in our knowledge about this person, simply go to: $findPersonLink$ and make your contribution too. Thank you,
Previous Page Next

Submitted by: Tim Burdett

Date added: 25 Feb 2015

Peter Appleton, my Great Great Great Grandfather, was born in Winnington, on the outskirts of Northwich on 13th April 1789 and died 10th September 1862 at Chatham Street, Stockport. At some stage before 1807 he and his family moved to Stockport, where he enlisted in the 1st Foot Guards on 7th January 1807. He was discharged on 7th March 1827, on his discharge papers he had been a private 216 days, Corporal 5 years 14 days and a Sergeant 14 years 143days. He is described a 5 feet 7 inches tall, brown hair, hazel eyes and fair complexion, his conduct is given as Very Good and he was paid marching money for himself, his wife and 6 children 182 miles back to Stockport.

Prior to Waterloo he was recruiting in Bury St Edmunds in May 1809, in 1812 he was posted with his regiment to Spain & Portugal.

By 1813 he was in Belgium and fought at the battle of Nivelle on 10th November 1812 and at Nive on 9th December 1813, he was also at the storming of Bergen up Zoom. At the time of Waterloo he was a Colour Sergeant, 3rd Battalion, Foot Guards serving in Lieutenant Colonel Henry D. Oyly’s Company.

Following Waterloo he was at the storming of Peronne 26th June 1815 and by January 1816 he was in Paris. He remained in France and his daughter Maria was born 2nd October 1817 in Cambray, so clearly his wife Ann had been with him as well.

By 1819 Peter had returned to England and he was Pay Sergeant. In 1824 he is recorded in the courts martial of another sergeant as being Pay Sergeant in Lieutenant Colonel Lord James Hays Company, 3rd Battalion in the renamed Grenadier Guards. As well as the Waterloo Medal, Peter also had clasps for Nivelle and Nive.

Following his discharge Peter stayed in Stockport; he was a cotton Spinner briefly, then a bookkeeper as well as running a small holding. My great aunt in a letter to her brother, my grandfather (I have the letter) tells him of a conversation that she had with their grandmother (Peter’s daughter Clarrisa) in the letter she says that “Granny told me that her father rode just behind the coffin when the Duke of Wellington was buried”. The Manchester Guardian November 20, 1852 lists the procession and it states Chelsea Pensioner (in) number 83 on foot who fell in at Charring Cross, alas I have been unable to confirm who they were although I know Peter was a Chelsea Pensioner (out).

(Sources; family letters, on line military records and “The men of the First Foot Guards by Barbara J Chambers.)

Next Previous