Date added: 8 Jun 2015
The envelope or ''Trotter'' knapsack was used at Waterloo for carrying equipment like brushes, razors, string and blankets. The whole of the British light infantry would have used this style of bag to carry essential items. It was first introduced to the British army in 1805 and started to be widely used in 1812. It would have been made of wood for the interior to hold everything in place, leather for the straps and waterproofed canvas on the outside to prevent items getting soaked by rain while a soldier was on the march.
The outside of the bag would clearly be marked with the soldiers regiment number (in Captain Leach's case it would have the number 95 on it) so that the soldier or bag could be easilly be identified by an officer so he knew where his men were.