Date added: 11 Aug 2016
Duke of Brunswick Monuments
A little down the road leading south from Quatre Bras to Charleroi a monument was erected by the Brunswick State for the 75th anniversary on 16 June 1890 to honour the Duke of Brunswick, who was killed during the battle and fell nearby.
The text reads: Friedrich-Wilhelm, Duke of Brunswick and Luneburg fell not far of this place while fighting in the lead of his troops, 16 June 1815.
On the rear of the monument another text is engraved, which reads: In memory of the heroes and the fallen warriors with them for Germany. The fatherland remembers.
The bronze lion was cast in the Wilhelm foundry in Bornum.
In 1874 a pair of equestrian statues of the Black Duke and his father were erected outside the Schloss-Arkaden (Brunswick Palace), Braunschweig.