Page of

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

Share this page

A tribute to Mr Sydney Victor Hine by Pam & Pauline

Date added: 6 Jan 2015


Pam & Pauline

the RAF Benevolent Fund
Dear Friends/Family, I have recently set up a page in the RAF Benevolent Fund Memorial Book and wanted to share it with you. Through this page we can share memories, photographs and videos of $personFirstName$ as well as raise money for the RAF Benevolent Fund. To view page and add your memories, just click on the following link: $findPersonLink$ Thanks!

My life and some memories 1982-2009

My retirement came at a very opportune time as my Uncle Frank in Reading died in December, 1983, and Tiny's stepmother, Nannie, died in January, 1984, and then my mother died in February, 1984, We had to clear out the house in Tring and I had to help with the two probates which my sister dealt with in Reading. For some time we were spending alternate days in Reading and Tring.

I was then able to spend all day in the garden of my house and I decided to rebuild the greenhouse which had been built over a swimming pool during the war. This had been built with wartime materials and was due for replacement before it fell down. This took me three months in my spare time. At this time Pamela was working in Leicester, where she stayed after she graduated from the University there. Pauline was at Nottingham University. Pamela paired up with Peter in Leicester and he was head-hunted for a job in Essex. They then moved near Chelmsford. Soon Adam was born on December 23, 1992, and Tiny and myself saw Pamela and the baby in the maternity ward on Boxing Day - our first grandchild. Pauline finished University and got a job at Target Finance in Aylesbury and she then moved there. So both daughters had now flown the nest.

We noticed that Tiny's mental health was deteriorating just prior to Adam being born as she was not able to knit the shawl she wanted to for him - she had been a great knitter. Her mental state got worse each month until she was not able to do anything for herself. She was diagnosed with multi-infract dementia, a series of minor strokes. We managed to have a party for our Golden Wedding on March 29, 1998, but she did not know what was going on.

Pauline eventually went to work in the City of London and moved to St. Albans. She met Piers there and they got married on October 17, 1998, at the church in Sandridge. They then moved to Gustard Wood in Wheathampstead. Our second grandchild, Miles, was born to Pauline on May 23, 1999.

Tiny's health became worse and she would not eat and she went into a nursing home in January, 1999. She fell there and broke her hip and was transferred to Hemel Hempstead hospital for the operation. She did not fully recover and died on August 13, 1999, at 4.40 p.m."

I was then left on my own in Hilltop Road, Kings Langley, and I had an invite to spend Christmas with my friend in New Zealand. I decided to go and had my first long flight of 26 hours. I stayed there for over five weeks, which covered the millennium - which was 13 hours before the U.K. I watched the celebrations on the television from the U.K. when I was having lunch on New Years Day. I then started looking at retirement accommodation in Wheathampstead, to be near Pauline, and decided to buy on lease a flat in the Four Limes complex. I took possession on September 1st, 2000, but as Pauline and family were going to Singapore later that month and I was going with them I could not put Hilltop Road on the market until I came back. I eventually moved to Wheathampstead on November 27, 2000, and Hilltop Road was finally disposed of in February, 2001.

Lydia, my third grandchild was born to Pauline on February 12, 2001. I continued living at Four Limes and went on many coach trips to the seaside, etc., and also parties in the communal lounge. On March 16, 2008, I was 90 years old and we had a big party for family and close friends in the Cross Keys restaurant in Gustard Wood, On March 29 I had a party together with another who was 90 in April for all the residents of Four Limes at a local church hall. This day would have been my diamond wedding anniversary. I ceased driving when I was 90 and sold my last car, a Vauxhall Corsa, on April 17 that year.

Pamela decided to get maried to Peter after living w├Čth him for about 20 years. There was a big wedding at a place near Chelmsford on June 28, 2008, and they are now living in Mashbury, near Chelmsford, Essex.

It is now 2009 and I am 91, and I have been on my own for ten years, so every year is a bonus now and it will soon be the end. I have lived through an enormous change in living conditions and developments, from gas lighting and horse and carts to electronics, mainly accelerated by the unlimited research during the two World Wars.

Sydney Victor Hine

Add a tribute, photo or video

View Tributes Next
Next Previous